Note: Close this browser to go back to the previous page.
Sample Final Exam
Version 1.(1- 40)
1. Graph the set:
2. Solve and check:
3. The shipping costs for a mail order purchase are $3.50 plus 15% of the price of the purchase. If the shipping cost is $8.00, what is the price of the purchase?
4. A butcher combined 90lb of hamburger that cost $1.50 per pound with 50lb of hamburger that cost $3.60 per pound. Find the cost of the hamburger mixture.
5. Find the x- and y- intercepts of 2x - 5y = -10.
6. Find the equation of the line containing and .
8. The Melrose Tennis Club charges $500 a year for membership plus a $2 an hour fee for use of a tennis court by its members. The equation that describes the cost of membership per year is given by C = 2n + 500, where n is the number of hours of tennis court use. Graph this equation for .
10. Evaluate the determinant:
11. A rowing team rowing with the current traveled 45 miles in 3hours. Against the current, the team rowed 27 miles in 3 hours. Find the rate of the rowing team in calm water and the rate of the current.
12. Graph the solution set:
18. Divide by long division:
19. Solve by factoring:
26. An express bus travels 300 mi in the same amount of time as a car travels 270 mi. The rate of the car is 6 mph less than the rate of the bus. Find the rate of the car.
27. The pressure (p) on a driver in the water varies directly as the depth (d). If the pressure is 6 lb/ when the depth is 12 ft, what is the pressure when the depth is 16 ft?
28. Solve by completing the square:
30. Find the coordinates of the vertex of
31. To determine if a graph is a function, what test do you have to do?
32. If and , find .
33. Find the inverse of .
36. Solve for x:
37. Write the first 3 terms of the expansion of
40. Find the equation of the circle with radius 3 and center (3, -2).
Answers: (Version 1)
Version 2. (1 - 50)
2. Evaluate when a = -1, b = 2, and c = -3
4. Find , given and
7. For one performance of a play, 360 tickets were sold. Reserved seat tickets sold for $12 each, and general admission tickets sold for $8 each. Receipts from the sale of the tickets totaled $3340. Find the number of general admission tickets sold.
8. An investment advisor deposited a total of $50,000 into two simple interest accounts. On the tax-free account the annual simple interest rate is 7%, and on the money market fund the annual simple interest rate is 13%. How much should be invested in the money market fund so that both accounts earn the same interest?
10. The width of a rectangle is (2x - 7)ft and the length is (6x + 1) ft. Find the area of the rectangle in terms of the variable.
18. Solve: for .
20. Write: as square root.
24. Graph y = -3x + 5.
25. Find the slope of the line containing the points (-6, -2) and (-1, 3).
26. Find the equation of the line that contains the point (-1,2) and has slope
27. Graph the solution set of 3x - 2y > 6.
31. Evaluate the function at x = -3.
32. Is the following set of ordered pairs a 1 - 1 function?
33. Find the inverse of the function
35. Find the minimum value of the function
36. Find the equation of the circle with radius 11 and center (3, -8).
40. Evaluate the determinant:
43. Solve for x:
44. Write as a single logarithm with a coefficient of 1.
45. Solve for x:
46. Solve for x:
47. Find the 17th term of the arithmetic sequence whose first term is 25 and whose common difference is -4.
48. Find the sum of the first 30 terms of the arithmetic sequence 2,4,6,....
49. Find the sum of the first 5 terms of the geometric sequence 12, -36, 108,....
50. Find the 4th term in the expansion of .
Answers: (Version 2)